The prehistoric site of Balutie is a French archaeological site located on the territory of Montignac-Lascaux commune in the Dordogne department, in the Nouvelle-Aquitaine region.
Located on the hill of Lascaux, the Station de la Balutie extends along a line of limestone cliffs about 150 meters long and 5 to 6 meters high. The deposit includes a cave (about 18 meters long and about 5 meters wide) and several shelters.
Discovered a little before 1872 by Théodore Sorbier and Father Sanne Solard, the deposit was excavated by Alain Reverdit and recently installed in Montignac-Lascaux, between 1873 and 1875. The archaeological material from these first excavations is found in the collections of the Natural History Museum of Toulouse, the Allen Sturge collections of the British Museum4 of London, the
Museum of Saint-Germain-en-Laye and the Museum of Périgord. Reverdit identifies occupations that he considers Mousterian, Solutrean, and Aurignacian.
Superficial, undeclared excavations were carried out in the cave in the early twentieth century by a certain Kardig, and the plot was rented for a while to Otto Hauser. He was forced to leave the Périgord and did not have time to search there.
After the First World War, Franck Delage briefly excavated the Balutie cave in 1925 and described this industry as Magdalenian.
The deposit is only rarely visited thereafter. Abbots Breuil and Glory visited the deposit in 1954, reaffirming the presence of Neanderthals on it. Finally, Denise de Sonnevilles-Bordes studied some of the lithic industries during her thesis work, which she described as Solutrean, Aurignacian, and Châtelperronian.
The prehistoric station has been classified as a historical monument since 28 December 1960.